[sr-dev] [Kamailio-Business] Kamailio v3.1.0 Released

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Wed Oct 6 18:51:06 CEST 2010

On Oct 06, 2010 at 18:22, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:
>  HELLO,
>
> On 10/6/10 6:14 PM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> >Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
> >
> >>- starting with this version, there is a single stable branch for both
> >>Kamailio and SER, so when you compile the sources, you must run first:
> >>
> >>make FLAVOUR=kamailio cfg
> >daniel,
> >
> >what happens if i don't include FLAVOR=kamailio?  namely i have never
> >done that when i have build sip router and haven't noticed any
> >problems.  what have i missed?
> literally two things:
> - internal kamailio-style statistics (what you get when they are
> enabled with kamctl fifo get_statistics all) -- iirc, they are
> exported by snmpstats module, so it might be the only thing not
> working because of this (or it is exporting always 0)
> - AS (application server) extensions in TM - needed only by seas
> module (ie some extra fields in transaction structure and callbacks)
>
> First point will be fixed in next release, as we will migrate to new
> counters API, which have less impact when updating statistics. Note
> that these statustucs exist for quite some time (older than openser
> 1.3.x), so far no performance impact was reported.

There are 2 different statistics defines and they are disabled for 2
different reasons.

-DSTATISTICS - this  disables statistics support for modules/sl
  and a lot of kamailio modules.
The reason for not having it enable it's not performance (the same
counters api is now used underneath anyway), but to force migration
 and documentation of the statistics (via the help strings integrated in
counters). As I said before, we could enable it for sr too (since we
didn't have time to migrate anything to the new stats).

-DUSE_CORE_STATS - this disables kex core stats support. The reason for
this is performance. Each core stat is now done via a callback (so for
each request or other event that needs to be counted, a function call is
made).

> Second one, we will see what can be done to have it default.

The question is whether to penalise people that don't use seas.
IMHO if somebody needs seas, he is knowledgeable enough to recompile
(make cfg WITHAS=1 ; make all).

> I haven't listed the name of application as difference (along with
> default config file) -- I don't consider it so.

Andrei