[sr-dev] git:master: modules_k/permissions: fixed reloading of address table

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue May 11 00:30:57 CEST 2010

> In early days, with "fetch" support, you could encounter problems when
> restarting *ser if there were a lot of entries in location table as all of
> them had to fit into memory (I private memory, but can't remember the
> details). So the workaround was to increase memory but that was inefficient
> as the memory was needed only during startup.
>
> Now with "fetch" support this problem is gone as only the currently fetched
> rows have to fit into the memory.

>> I understand. And could one of these db experts tell us the exact
>> problem it could occur?:)
>
> Out of memory.
>
> In early days, with "fetch" support, you could encounter problems when
> restarting *ser if there were a lot of entries in location table as all of
> them had to fit into memory (I private memory, but can't remember the
> details). So the workaround was to increase memory but that was inefficient
> as the memory was needed only during startup.
>
> Now with "fetch" support this problem is gone as only the currently fetched
> rows have to fit into the memory.

Ok, I understand. Then I should take care in my design. I'm using
'address' table to identify each client based on it(s) source IP(s),
using 'grp_id' column which points to each client id.

It's expected that the number of clients will be increased terribly,
perhaps 1000-2000, so I could have the same number (or more) of
entries in 'address' table. Currently I use 12 or 16 MB of PKG_MEM,
could I get into problems?

This is very important for me and I would appreciate any help and
confirmation about it. If current (1.5.4) version of 'permissions'
module is not suitable for this task then I would use a custom table
and perform custom DB queries to match the source address to the
client it belongs to.

Thanks a lot.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo