[sr-dev] git:master: modules_k/permissions: fixed reloading of address table

Mon May 10 23:05:35 CEST 2010

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2010/5/10 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
>> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>>
>>  > Hi Juha, I don't fully understand what you mean. Which parameter do
>>  > you mean? do you say that 1.5.4 permissions module is not suitable for
>>  > thousands of records. This would be a big handicap in my plattform.
>>
>> modules that loads lots of records from db usually have a parameter,
>> such as lcr's fetch_rows, that tells how many records to load at one
>> shot.  db experts can tell, why this is a good idea and what problems
>> may happen if such a param does not exist.  there are no problems with
>> using the addresses once the records have been successfully loaded.
>
> I understand. And could one of these db experts tell us the exact
> problem it could occur?:)

Out of memory.

In early days, with "fetch" support, you could encounter problems when
restarting *ser if there were a lot of entries in location table as all
of them had to fit into memory (I private memory, but can't remember the
details). So the workaround was to increase memory but that was
inefficient as the memory was needed only during startup.

Now with "fetch" support this problem is gone as only the currently
fetched rows have to fit into the memory.

regards
klaus