[sr-dev] building flavours

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 15:21:35 CET 2010

On 03/18/2010 03:05 PM, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2010 at 12:44, Daniel-Constantin Mierla<miconda at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was thinking to get an easy way to build flavours completely out of
>> the same source tree, one of the benefits is to have only one branch for
>> future releases.
>>
>> make FLAVOUR=abc cfg
>>
>> does most of the job. The missing pieces are manual pages and some doc
>> files (e.g., INSTALL).
>>
>> My idea is to restructure a bit the pkg content:
>>
>> pkg:
>> |
>> +--- default -+-- docs (Install, man pages, etc)
>> |             |
>> |             +-- debian
>> |             +-- rpm
>> |             +-- ...
>> |
>> +--- abc -----+-- docs (Install, man pages, etc)
>> |
>> |             +-- debian
>> |             +-- rpm
>> |             +-- ...
>> |

> I agree (and I think it's a good ideea) with the packages
> (e.g. pkg/sip_router/{debian,..}, pkg/kamailaio/{debian,...}.
>
> I don't understand the docs part. You mean everything which is now
> under doc/* (which would be to difficult to maintain) or just some
> specific documents (INSTALL, main man page) ?

No, I do not want to move the doc/ folder. Just what is in the root dir
of source tree: INSTALL, README, manpages.

>> make FLAVOUR=... cfg
>>
>> will copy the docs files from pkg/flavour/docs in source tree root.
>> 'default' can be 'sip-router' to match the flavours values right now.
>>
> Well, having docs under pkg would be bad (nobody will expect that), so
> we would need a more obvious place.
> I'm also not sure about the copy part. If it's only 1 or 2 it's ok
> (maybe we could link), but if there are more it would be really ugly.

Shouldn't be more than 4-5. They will be in root dir after make cfg,
where everyone expects them. Just devs need to update them in
pkg/flavour. The dir can be named something else, 'misc' for example,
just didn't have a better idea.

I thought in having everything per flavour in pkg/ because it is mainly
about packaging anyhow, source code is the same.

>> In source tree root plan have README.first where to mention to run make
>> cfg (which is called anyhow by simple 'make') first to get INSTALL, etc ...
>>
>> Other opinions?
>>
> How about: INSTALL.kamailio, INSTALL.sip-router, INSTALL.ser,
> README.kamailio, README.sip-router, .... ?

I think root dir will get too many files and will confuse.

* http://www.asipto.com/