[sr-dev] building flavours

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Thu Mar 18 15:05:09 CET 2010

On Mar 18, 2010 at 12:44, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was thinking to get an easy way to build flavours completely out of
> the same source tree, one of the benefits is to have only one branch for
> future releases.
>
> make FLAVOUR=abc cfg
>
> does most of the job. The missing pieces are manual pages and some doc
> files (e.g., INSTALL).
>
> My idea is to restructure a bit the pkg content:
>
> pkg:
> |
> +--- default -+-- docs (Install, man pages, etc)
> |             |
> |             +-- debian
> |             +-- rpm
> |             +-- ...
> |
> +--- abc -----+-- docs (Install, man pages, etc)
> |
> |             +-- debian
> |             +-- rpm
> |             +-- ...

I agree (and I think it's a good ideea) with the packages
(e.g. pkg/sip_router/{debian,..}, pkg/kamailaio/{debian,...}.

I don't understand the docs part. You mean everything which is now
under doc/* (which would be to difficult to maintain) or just some
specific documents (INSTALL, main man page) ?

> make FLAVOUR=... cfg
>
> will copy the docs files from pkg/flavour/docs in source tree root.
> 'default' can be 'sip-router' to match the flavours values right now.

Well, having docs under pkg would be bad (nobody will expect that), so
we would need a more obvious place.
I'm also not sure about the copy part. If it's only 1 or 2 it's ok
(maybe we could link), but if there are more it would be really ugly.

> In source tree root plan have README.first where to mention to run make
> cfg (which is called anyhow by simple 'make') first to get INSTALL, etc ...
>
> Other opinions?

How about: INSTALL.kamailio, INSTALL.sip-router, INSTALL.ser,
README.kamailio, README.sip-router, .... ?

Andrei