[sr-dev] [dialog MI dlg_end_dlg] error when terminating a dialog in state 2 (never removed from memory)

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Jul 12 22:30:32 CEST 2010

2010/7/12 Timo Reimann <timo.reimann at 1und1.de>:
> I'm not sure why dialog termination points in time differ for
> UA-/proxy-initiated BYE requests. Is there a rationale that proxies
> triggering dialog termination need to ensure that UAs respond or
> time-out before they can destroy the dialog? How does it differ from
> UA-initiated dialog terminations?

I strongly believe (as RFC 3261 states) that a proxy SHOULD NOT
generate in-dialog requests. In fact, 'dialog' module is a bit "hack"
;)

IMHO when a proxy-generated BYE is sent (to both caller and callee)
that should be enough to set the dialog in 'terminated' state. There
is no reason to behave different than when handling a UA-initiated
BYE.

> Maybe you have an idea on this; I will continue thinking about it. In
> any case, the "always decrement counter during BYE processing" isn't
> strictly required for the designated fix if the "deny proxy-initiated
> call termination for non-confirmed calls" rule is in effect. That's
> because confirmed dialogs should always transition to the terminated
> state on processing of the BYE request and thereby decrement the counter.
>
> Too much thinking about dialog today. I need a break. :)

Ok, I also need a break to see the goal again and again XDDD

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>