[sr-dev] modules_k: nathelper split

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Wed Aug 11 18:57:18 CEST 2010

2010/8/11 Ovidiu Sas <osas at voipembedded.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to propose a split of the k nathelper module in two:
>  - nathelper module - will keep functionality related only to NAT handling;
>  - rtpproxy module - a new module that will handle rtpproxy protocol
> communication between kamailio and rtpproxy.
>
> The config will require the load of the new rtpproxy module and all
> the rtpproxy config params will be moved from nathelper to rtpproxy.
> All functions will remain the same inside the routing blocks.
>
> Before proceeding with this task, I would like to know if there are
> any objections to this split.

IMHO it makes lot of sense. There should be a module to deal with NAT
in signalling and other module to deal with media.
Anyhow, note that there is already other specific module for NAT in
signalling: nat_traversal, but it's a different approach than
nathelper (I think nat_traversal provides useful stuff to mantain NAT
keepalives without requiring registration, which makes it very
suitable when using an outbound proxy).

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo