[SR-Dev] what to do if function names differ?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:33:17 CEST 2009

On 04/21/2009 10:14 AM, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
>
>  > if we wait for something perfect, then we will fail.
>
> s-r cannot be worse that k k from doc point of view.  it is totally
> unacceptable to me if we start to accept modules or functions w/o
> documentation.

all K modules have the same docs, so if you use them you have all you need.
common tm is pretty well documented now.

If you work to merge some modules then you have to do the doc part as well.

>  > This is open source
>  > and as soon as we get community involved, the project evolves much
>  > better.
>
> community is not able to write docs for common modules, e.g., tm.

Why not? There are very experienced users in both sides. Many of missing
functions and parameters from docs were reported by users. You jump to a
conclusion without even trying to ask for help and see the results.

>  > Nobody will get a penny for digging up and write documentation. From
>  > past experience, docs achievements in openser was done with large
>  > contribution of the community.
>
> i don't remember that user would have written many (or any) module
> docs.  each developer,
Olle E. Johansson provided lot of doc updates for doxygen and modules.
> who is responsible of a module, has to take care
> of it.
What I do not understand is which module you need and lacks of
documentation? You have all K modules very well documented. Many S
modules I went though have good documentation, but will take some time
to get all sync'ed, updated and in same format (although we can live
with different formats as long as we can get html and txt).

I see no show stopper with the documentation as it is. If someone is
missing something, he/she is free to help. If cannot get something from
the source code, then can ask here for hints from the developer. We talk
here about modules that exist, not about new contributions.

I have seen here recently lot of useful information about building
system (Makefile) and not only, but none digested it in a wiki page.
>   wiki is easier to get help with.

It can accept extensions to module docs. For example in openser there
are wiki pages for avp_db_query(), tm module and other. Latter can be
imported to module's docbook.

http://www.asipto.com/