[Kamailio-Devel] Max size of a log line?

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Tue Jan 13 21:07:13 CET 2009

13 jan 2009 kl. 16.30 skrev Daniel-Constantin Mierla:

> Hello,
>

> On 01/13/2009 04:54 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> Hi, during a module loading I log via LM_DBG a string with a variable
>> size. It could be just a few chars of many of them (it's a regular
>> expression I want to log since it's parsed and compiled when the
>> module is loaded).
>>
>> Which is the maximun size available in a log?
>>
> it uses behind functions from syslog lib -- if it is configured to log
> in syslog. Probably is dependent of the OS. Never questioned myself
> how
> long can be.... maybe google has more answers ...

RFC 3164:
4.1 syslog Message Parts The full format of a syslog message seen on
the wire has three discernable parts. The first part is called the
PRI, the second part is the HEADER, and the third part is the MSG. The
total length of the packet MUST be 1024 bytes or less. There is no
minimum length of the syslog message although sending a syslog packet
with no contents is worthless and SHOULD NOT be transmitted.

/O