[Kamailio-Devel] More about URI port and URI parameters when comparing SIP URI's

Tue Feb 24 23:28:24 CET 2009

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> El Martes, 24 de Febrero de 2009, Klaus Darilion escribió:
>
>>> They are equivalent since port must be ignored when comparing URI's in
>>> From/To headers (according to the table above).
>> As I first guess I would say the table is buggy. It is weird that an URI
>> has a different meaning when used in a different header. If someone's
>> SIP AoR is "sip:user at domain.org:9999", then IMO the port has to be in
>> the From URI too - otherwise you can't call the caller back.
>
> I'm not so sure. An user doesn't need to set in the From the port in which him
> proxy responsible of the domain is listening.
>
> In fact is very common when having a proxy listening in port i.e. 5070 to
> configure the phone as follows:
>
> - domain: mydomain.org  -> DNS A entry pointing to PROXY_IP
> - outbound proxy: PROXY_IP:5070
>
> So the From will be like:
>   From: <sip:user at mydomain.org> (with no port).
>
> When the called whises to call the caller back it's supposed that it will
> perform a DNS SRV query for "mydomain.org" that will result
> in "PROXY_IP:5070".
>
> In the case of e-mail, nobody adds the SMTP port of him mail server to the
> From URI.
>
> But I fully recognize that this issue is not very clear.

In you scenario the AoR of the user is sip:user at mydomain.org and SRV
points to port 5070.

But AFAIK it is not forbidden to use sip:user at mydomain.org:5070 as AOR
(note: this is different than sip:user at mydomain.org).

And in this case - where there are no SRV records and the port is part
of the URI - IMO there is a need to specify the port in the From header too.

regards
klaus