[OpenSER-Devel] FUNCTION ser.bitand does not exist

Iouri Kharon bc-info at styx.cabel.net
Tue May 13 15:06:37 CEST 2008

   Hi Henning!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008, you wrote:

> well, to be correct you proposed not this kind of extension to the DB API. :)
> I thought some of your changes were then to heavy for the current state of
> the development, e.g. i wanted to postphone them after 1.4. You see that we
> still working on the prober integration of db_oracle..
In my opinion, this is not quite so. I could make changes in the code in a couple
of days (for example, in a some weekend). Of course, taking into account the
2 or 3 modules that will be able to use them immediately.
However, not that easy for me is to compose documentation to these changes in
proper English :)

> I also suggested that we should discuss this things on the developer list.
> Here we've found probably a compromise easier.
And i have answered that my English is not good enough to carry out discussions  :).
I can repeat here my proposals (as a pseudocode) but I can hardly participate in
a discussion.

> I think the addition on a function like Dan proposed make sense.
Here I don't agree. For a number of reasons.
1. inline can appear only if db-engine is defined at the compilation stage, and
   this is highly undesirable.
2. Perhaps you remember that I have proposed to do without the sql constructions
   in the modules (all except for db-specific) because different approaches are
   optimal for different engine, and it is not appropriate to place the db-specific
   things into modules that have nothing to do with db operation.
3. If I still persuade you :) to introduce the notion "function", not only
   '='/'<'/'>, into db-api, then the appearance of constructs like the
   function proposed by Dan will only complicate transition to the new mechanism.

In other words, it would be better to do this in a proper way than to make "patches".
Whether this should be done now or after the release of 1.4 - this may be the
subject of a discussion. ;-)

Best regards,
 Iouri

P.S. This answer translate to english not by mine :)