[OpenSER-Devel] New module and some restructuring

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed May 7 01:34:45 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> dan,
>
> it is great that you will provide improved nathelper module and new
> mediaproxy.
>
>  > 3. Common functionality between nathelper and mediaproxy which is
>  > related to handling NAT traversal for SIP signaling purposes (like
>  > contact fixing, nat detection, pinging) should be moved to the
>  > nat_traversal module (we should consider the most complete version
>  > of the 2 and port that). Pinging is already done by this new
>  > keepalive functionality.
>
> i don't have anything against in combining signaling/nat pinging
> functionality of nathelper and mediaproxy modules, but i don't consider
> it a big thing to have two modules either.

I think that separating the modules that handle NAT traversal for SIP
signaling from the ones that handle media relaying is a good thing.
Consider I run a proxy for the sole purpose of being a presence server.
Why would I want to load a media relaying module? Only because it also
includes the SIP signaling NAT traversal stuff?

> i don't remember why, but
> i'm currently using tests and fixes from nathelper module and
> use_mediaproxy/end_media_session from mediaproxy module.

Probably because the nathelper version has some extra test not present in
the mediaproxy version. Anyway, the idea is to take the most complete of
them, or even to combine them if different, before moving them to the new
module.

--
Dan