[OpenSER-Devel] Possible bug in the tm module in the presence of packet loss/branches

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Thu Mar 6 22:19:06 CET 2008

Dan Pascu wrote:
>> Network packet loss is real if you
>> are using UDP, and even if you don't see it normally, it still happens
>> from time to time.
>
> This is what retransmissions are for. They deal nicely with occasional
> packet loss. Now if you try to run a SIP service over a network with 50%
> packet loss, then I can understand why you gasp and try to grab on any
> idea (no matter how unrelated to the original issue) that could help you
> through the thing.

I am not trying to grab on anything and I would appreciate if you can
stop speculating regarding what I do and what I don't.

The issue at hand has lead me to discovering the problem, which is hard
to observe, but the problem itself IMHO is important one and by no means
non-existing in the real world. As I said in the other message, I've
seen this issue many times before in normal conditions, but attributed
it to some kind of CPE failure. This could also happen not only due to
network problems but due to UDP packets loss when server is loaded. Run
"netstat -su" on the any more or less loaded Linux server running
OpenSER and see how many UDP packets are getting dropped every second
("packet receive errors" item).

-Maxim