[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [4329] trunk/modules/benchmark/benchmark.c

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Jun 9 11:09:00 CEST 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> [..]
> When it was decided that the major release to be prepared before the
> summer, I was one of those suggesting it is not enough time. Right now I
> am more convinced about that. I postponed things I committed to do just
> because there was no time to really discuss about (merging some modules,
> a common interface for radius/diameter...). Looks like a big potential
> improvement, but pretty much useless (comparing with what can be done
> there) for one year. With one more week, we can speed up deployment of
> very useful functionalities in production with this release.
> [..]

Hi Daniel,

planning and getting the schedules right is a hard problem in open source
development as well in closed source environment. There are basically two
approaches for development schedules, base them on the features or the time,
which happens to be our project policy.

What we've did some month ago was to pick an arbitrary date that fits more or
less to all participants. I agree of course that one could easily invest more
time in this release. But there is also the possiblity that if we had done
the feature freeze one month later, that we've observed the same pressure and
problems like in the last week. Work tends to fill the available time. ;-)