[OpenSER-Devel] proposal: 1.4 not freezing tonight

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 00:00:54 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

I want to ask for one more week of development before freezing 1.4. It
was already postponed 2 days, but last day changes makes me
uncomfortable about this major release.

Today afternoon, less than 12 hours before release, a new feature was
announced, based on commits started last evening. It is about
introducing local_route.
http://lists.openser.org/pipermail/devel/2008-June/014035.html

Like other developers expressed the concern, the time didn't allow to
properly analyze and extend its usage across modules, in places that
will bring real benefits.

The purpose for the route is to handle local generated requests via TM.
One example is the requests generated via MI interface (fifo, xmlrpc).
However, only a limited set of functionalities are possible now, due to
lack of time. For me is like a stub, it allows to add headers, do
accounting, logging, benchmarking and avp operations.

I see no reason why not enable there very useful features, such as load
balancing, least cost routing, sip tracing and many other.

As it is right now, the features brought in are suitable for a
send_route, where the routing was establish, nothing can be done in that
respect, but one wants to do just some polishing here and there, with
some new headers, logging and accounting. This route should be available
for all requests, not only for tm local generated ones.

For this week, the plan will be:
- developers that have functions they consider are useful to be
available in local_route, will take care to do it for their code
- new features for local_route that are considered highly useful will be
added
- I am going to analyze, propose for discussion and implement a send_route

I consider that will make 1.4 a big step forward, rather than sticking
to this stage for one year (when probably will be 1.5).

This is more or less a vote of the developers, but opinions are welcome
from anybody. If by mid of next week, will be a majority for delaying of
expressed votes, then will be unfreeze for one more week. Otherwise, the
freezing can be considered from tonight.

My vote is to delay freezing with one more week.

http://www.asipto.com