[OpenSER-Devel] mediaproxy module dispatcher communication problem

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Jun 5 19:13:11 CEST 2008

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Dan Pascu writes:
>
>  > Apparently the media-relay output is missing 2 log lines. After it says
>  > that is is listening on the 4 ports, it should also say it has added an
>  > audio stream and started a new session. So from the logs it looks like
>  > the relay started to do something and then just froze.
>
> i'm pretty sure that i included all syslog lines.  i'll try to reproduce
> the timeout.
>
>  > It shouldn't. DNS lookups are only done by the relay to find the
>  > dispatcher at startup and then on a regular basis (like every minute) to
>  > see if the dispatcher address has changed. But DNS lookups are
>  > asynchronous and should not block anything.
>
> fine, i have 127.0.0.1 in config.ini as dispatchers, listen, and
> listen_management value.
>
> i was asking because when i reboot my laptop, bind is not running yet
> when mediaproxy processes are started and resolv.conf has 127.0.0.1 as
> its only nameserver.

In this case I think it was past that point. The logic is like this. The
media-relay starts and figures out from DNS where is the SIP proxy (if
you gave a domain name) or what is the IP address (if you gave a
hostname), or does nothing if you give an IP. Only after it finds the IP
address it connects to the dispatcher and it can receive requests. Until
then the dispatcher will immediately answer to openser with an error if
there is no relay to forward the request to. So since it did receive the
command the media-relay was past the point where it had to find where
the dispatcher is, otherwise it wouldn't have been connected and
couldn't have received a request. Even more in your case you say you
specified 127.0.0.1 explicitly so it didn't even attempt any DNS lookup.

As for bind being started when the relay starts, in debian bind starts
at index 15 while the relay starts at index 21

--
Dan