[OpenSER-Devel] documentation effort

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Feb 25 13:56:54 CET 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008, Michiel ten Hagen wrote:
> During the IRC meetings I proposed to take on some of the work on
> improving the documentation.
>
> For this I recommend the following:
> There already is lots of documentation on openser (and SER) distributed
> on the web and also the openser wiki does contain lots information but
> apparently this is not found by new users. A 'official openser guide'
> would be the appropriate  solution for this, this way a single
> consistent source of information for new users is available.
> [..]

Hi Michiel,

having an 'openser guide' would be a really great thing. I agree, all existing documentation on openser.org should be consolidated in one place.

> Its preferable to create the guide using DocBook XML and svn with a
> small team. MoinMoin supports wiki <-> docbook conversions, we could use
> that or create some XSLT ourselves. Using a DocBook -> wiki workflow
> allows web users to pinpoint mistakes or make small additions but leave
> the team to create a consistent document.

Well, we're using dokuwiki at the moment, and not MoinMoin. There exists also a xslt docbook plugin for this wiki, but this is not that maintained and performant i think. If we have a guide then we could just place it on the webserver and link from the wiki. But these are details, no need to discuss this now as long as we don't have a guide at all. ;-)

> Next the guide other improvements such as a faq are usefull but I
> suggest to focus on a guide.
>
> Tasks
> - Create a single point of entry for documentation
> - Create an openser-doc mailing list
> - Create an separate doc tree in svn
> - Create a small documentation team
> - Create an 'official openser guide'

To the tasks:

I think we should start with the mailling list. Bogdan or Daniel, perhaps one of you could create the 'openser-docs' list?

Forming a small team sounds good. Edson already contacted me last week, he probably already want to join this effort. Perhaps sending an announcement to the user list will also help to get some people joining this project. Please let me know if there is something i could do to help you in getting this started.

You'll will probably need svn access, perhaps we can discuss this after the list has been setup and the first steps in toward the guide has been taken.

> I will be busy the rest of the month but after that I am willing to work
> on the procedures and start with a basic guide.

Great, i'm looking forward to this.