[OpenSER-Devel] documentation effort

Michiel ten Hagen michiel at klaproos.net
Fri Feb 22 13:36:35 CET 2008

Dear All

During the IRC meetings I proposed to take on some of the work on
improving the documentation.

For this I recommend the following:
There already is lots of documentation on openser (and SER) distributed
on the web and also the openser wiki does contain lots information but
apparently this is not found by new users. A 'official openser guide'
would be the appropriate  solution for this, this way a single
consistent source of information for new users is available.

There now appear to be 2 different starting points for documentation:
http://www.openser.org/docs/  and
http://www.openser.org/dokuwiki/doku.php which might be confusing. All
the 'doc' links should go to wiki on wich the guide should have a
prominent place above any reference or function documentation.

Its preferable to create the guide using DocBook XML and svn with a
small team. MoinMoin supports wiki <-> docbook conversions, we could use
that or create some XSLT ourselves. Using a DocBook -> wiki workflow
allows web users to pinpoint mistakes or make small additions but leave
the team to create a consistent document.

Next the guide other improvements such as a faq are usefull but I
suggest to focus on a guide.

Tasks
- Create a single point of entry for documentation
- Create an openser-doc mailing list
- Create an separate doc tree in svn
- Create a small documentation team
- Create an 'official openser guide'

I will be busy the rest of the month but after that I am willing to work
on the procedures and start with a basic guide.

Regards,

Michiel ten Hagen