[OpenSER-Devel] RFC: memory management in database modules

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Feb 8 10:03:40 UTC 2008

Hi Henning,

I'm really interested in focusing on things that really drawback openser
(as throughput) - and I do not refer at the non-sense lab tests (TM
performances :P) which more or less have 0 relevance in real life scenarios.

So, as a first plan, I wan to do some work on the DB part : I want to
add support for prepared statements which will give some speed up in
standard DB queries - 90% of the queries are standard and there is no
need to prepare, build query, pass it to the driver, to parse it (by
driver), etc.... I want first to add this support in usrloc module, only
for mysql backend.

If the result are promising, we can extend this to all modules using DB.
Then, we can investigate which other drivers support prepared statements
and to enhance them also - if not native supported, we can do it the
openser module.

I know this is a long shot, but first I want to experiment with usrloc
and mysql to see if really makes a difference.

Regards,
Bogdan