[Kamailio-Devel] Merging patches from opensips?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Thu Aug 14 09:57:14 CEST 2008

Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 08/13/08 13:47, C. Bergström wrote:
>> I don't mean to stir things up... I'm curious if there will be a
>> continued effort to merged changes/bug fixes and features with both
>> projects?  I've been glancing over the commit logs of both projects
>> lately and noticed this..
>>
>> http://openser.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openser?view=rev&revision=4669
>>
>> backport from opensips (r4513 + r4589):
>> - active and early dialogs counters (statistics variables) are
>> properly set while loading DB content
>> I'm certainly not able to tell if it's worth the effort, but putting
>> all egos aside was this planned
> openser ported bugs from ser when was the case of sharing same code. I
> cannot say will be a closely fix porting of the bugs in both ways,
> perhaps in short term, but in the future who knows where the code base
> of the two projects will lead.
>
> We are in open source, as long as licensing and credits are preserved,
> each developer will decide how to go on with his code.
I'm not worried about pissing anyone off and tempted to help merge the
opensips patches myself, but then the real work would be in making sure
I don't introduce any regressions as I'm not able to fully QA/debug the
intricacies that could result.  (Thus not sure the end benefit would be
positive or uselessly take away from other core devs.)  I suppose at the
very least watching the bug tracking/commit logs would make sense for
the short term.  If a decision is made on this I'd hope it will be
published on the website.  For anyone still left with making a decision
at that point it would be clear kamailio is the clear choice since it
would contain the combined efforts as apposed to just a *perceived* half
the pie.

./C