[Kamailio-Devel] [Kamailio-Users] 1.4.0 release plans, project matters

Miles Scruggs miles.scruggs at wideideas.com
Tue Aug 5 23:02:12 CEST 2008

As a lurker on the list, and one who glances at the devel list but
never posts to it, I'm shocked at the fact that someone could be on
the board of OpenSER and not see this coming.  I have no inside
information, and yet over a month ago I said to myself "Self I wonder
how long it will be before something substantial changes".  Anyone,
who didn't see something like this or the inverse (change within the
openSER/Kamailio project) happening and does any more than a casual
following, needs to get back into the clue line.

Unfortunately the timing is just terrible (name change and all), but
I'm not suggesting that that should have effected the timing, it is
just a fact.  Not in any small part to the fact of droves of people
who can't seem to figure out what is going on.

I think the only question that needs to be asked is which project has
the framework in place, or plans to put in place, that will deliver
you the goals you desire.  Once you make that decision then get behind
the project don't worry about the other one, feel free to contribute
to both, and put the politics in a nice little box.

Alex I'm pretty sure, after only a slight interaction with bogdan, you
will not get him to lay out issues to you which in turn point directly
to people (at least in this forum).  There is really nothing to be
gained from it for him, and just risks a petty all out flame war which
without careful reading and research only clouds the issue for the
casual reader.

Again after only a casual reading of the devel list I've become a
little concerned with the direction of openSER, and knew that change
or crash was inevitable.  Based on my lack of history with the project
I didn't see that coming from bogdan, but I applaud his resolve in
this.  A fork of this nature is not something that is done lightly, at
least not by a person with any intelligence and social skills.  For
anyone to assume it was the result of something petty, or a single
feature are implying something very negative about bogdan, or they
themselves are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.  (I guess please
say what you mean, don't leave us guessing if you are dumb or if you
think bogdan is dumb)

Henning, I would ask you to review your conduct as of late, simple
trivial things like removing bogdans admin access screams of something
driven by emotion, and not a decision based on logic or facts. That
and many little things (nothing that would by itself would be a case)
that I have seen over the last few months on the lists (mostly devel
list) lead me to question your ability to lead/motivate/empower. I
have seen public finger pointing, redirecting, mandating, and much of
this is the way it is going to be and I don't care what you think.
There is a certain level of tact that seems to be missing (I know I
miss it, and as such this email is devoid of any tact, but then I
recognize what positions I best serve)

I'm also going to let the pendulum swing the other way bogdan.  I'm
not sure I get the impression that you have done the best that you, or
someone in your position could do to effect change of the project
within.  You are a great guy, and I respect your desire just to get
things done and not argue about it, but I do think, given your past
involvement the mutual respect you have from the community, that you
could have done more.

Now before anyone thinks they need to rebuff any of those points I'll
just say that all this has been said from a perspective of very little
knowledge and information.(probably contributed by the lack of tact I
mentioned earlier)  If you don't agree just simple reply to this point
with a "ya your way off there man, but thanks for something to read"

Cheers

Miles Scruggs
Wide Ideas | Operations | miles.scruggs at wideideas.com