[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3972] trunk

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Apr 4 11:57:16 CEST 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> You are often making changes with impact on many different places.
> While I am not the one to judge all these changes in detail, please
> bear in mind that you are not the only one using this software.
> Additions are great, but changes to exiting code is a different thing
> and your should consult the developer of the modules in question.
>
> Such dramatic changes cannot be scrutinized for correctness or
> usefulness at the rate you commit them and this could be the reason
> for the so many bugs recently introduced that nobody can trace the
> source for.

Hi Adrian,

i have this in mind, of course. First of all some of my changes are not
created from me, but patches from other people (e.g. this change,
carrierroute, userblacklist..). I need to trust them that they properly test
their code. For every change i commit i do a review, trying to minimize the
impact to existing code. But sometimes this it not possible, for example with
the database interface. Sure, the change of the table infrastructure breaks
perhaps five modules (because of errors of mine), but this bugs were
reported, and fixed from me. I try to improve the available test
infrastructure, to catch errors like this before i commit anything.

The recent problems Juha reported with the DB interface was not caused from my
work, but from a local module of him. During the process of finding this bugs
quite a few tests were done from me, showing that the new interface is stable
(at least with this workload). I think the actual state of the drivers are
way more maintenable, some modules shrink to about 50% of their old code.

Daniel also reviewed this change for the siptrace module, its was ok for him.
Its true, i sometimes commit changes (that i consider minor ones) in other
modules, for example as part of some cleanup work. But if this is not ok with
the actual maintainer, i'll revert them and trying to address the issues.

Could you perhaps elaborate a little bit on this 'many untracable bugs'? If
you have this feeling i would like to address them.

Best regards,