[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3972] trunk

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 10:47:23 CEST 2008

On 04/04/08 11:21, Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> Because it is not used by openser,, will not work now -- my point I
>> made in the previous email is that yes, quoting is a preferable way,
>> but it requires changes in the db modules and i don't know if can be
>> done in unixodbc where the db system behind is floating.
>>

> Shouldn't that be the concern of the unixodbc layer. I mean if it
> interacts with multiple database backends, it should know how to do it
> properly. One needs not send "pre-quoted" names to unixodbc, it should be
> unixodbc's job to figure out how to quote them based on backend.

openser prints the queries in a buffer, perhaps when moved to prepare
statements the thing become simpler. Now the query look the same for all
sql databases.

However, I do not know if unixodbc can detect the quoting character, it
is trying to be compliant with many db types.

Refactoring the DB layer for better is all the time welcome, but it is
not something small and that can be done in no-time.

>> It is why we try to make major releases often, not to accumulate to
>> many radical changes, but I don't see other options. All the software I
>> know and used to configure needed updates to configs to make it work
>> with new major versions, even apache2.
>>

> I never had to change anything in my config when upgrading apache, except
> when I moved from apache to apache2, which is a major version increase
> (1.x.x->2.x.x). The issue I mention with openser is between minor
> releases 1.1.x->1.2.x, ...
>
> I can understand that some things need to be improved, but I was pointing
> out that this kind of major refactoring between minor releases shouldn't
> be the norm.

Apache does versioning with major release as first number, we say major
release based on middle number change. The difference is that we do
major releases more often.

I agree that backward compatibility should be enforced as much as
possible, but should take in consideration:
- the effort to implement it
- the complexity it adds
- how big effects has the change in openser

http://www.asipto.com