[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3972] trunk

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 09:50:27 CEST 2008

On 04/04/08 09:43, Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2008, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>
>> is there something equivalent of mysql back quotes in oracle?  if so, i
>> suggest that they are used instead or renaming existing fields.
>>
>> if not, then i don't see a choice for renaming as long as we don't have
>> configurable database creation scripts.
>>

> Thank you,
>
> That was my initial question and the point I made. It would be very much
> prefer to use quoting if available than to rename columns after they were
> in use for more than 2 releases. This can even be done with the current
> db schema generation. While it's not the most straightforward approach,
> it works. For example, I have this column definition in a custom table
> where a column name is a mysql keyword and there is no issue with it:

Because it is not used by openser,, will not work now -- my point I made
in the previous email is that yes, quoting is a preferable way, but it
requires changes in the db modules and i don't know if can be done in
unixodbc where the db system behind is floating. Another big concern is
the openserctl script, where for sql backends have a query to interact
with database, needs to be updated as well.

I haven't seen a patch yet, but it will be integrated once submitted.

>     <column id="condition">
>         <name>condition</name>
>         <name db="mysql">`condition`</name>
>         <type>string</type>
>         <size>4</size>
>     </column>
>

> Of course I would very much prefer if quoting would be done automatically
> for each database type and such constructs would not be needed, but for
> the time being if oracle supports quoting it can be done like this.
>
> One of the issues I saw with almost every release of openser since 1.0.0
> is the major disruptive changes that were in all of them. There was no
> release since then where I didn't have to completely rewrite my config
> script, alter my db schemas and update applications to use the new db
> schemas. The fact that after a release it can take up to a month to
> adjust the old environment to the new release and sort out all bugs,
> makes it a very innefficient approach when the release cycle is 6 months.

It is why we try to make major releases often, not to accumulate to many
radical changes, but I don't see other options. All the software I know
and used to configure needed updates to configs to make it work with new
major versions, even apache2.

Daniel

--
http://www.asipto.com