[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3972] trunk

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Apr 4 08:43:12 CEST 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> is there something equivalent of mysql back quotes in oracle?  if so, i
> suggest that they are used instead or renaming existing fields.
>
> if not, then i don't see a choice for renaming as long as we don't have
> configurable database creation scripts.

Thank you,

That was my initial question and the point I made. It would be very much
prefer to use quoting if available than to rename columns after they were
in use for more than 2 releases. This can even be done with the current
db schema generation. While it's not the most straightforward approach,
it works. For example, I have this column definition in a custom table
where a column name is a mysql keyword and there is no issue with it:

    <column id="condition">
        <name>condition</name>
        <name db="mysql">`condition`</name>
        <type>string</type>
        <size>4</size>
    </column>

Of course I would very much prefer if quoting would be done automatically
for each database type and such constructs would not be needed, but for
the time being if oracle supports quoting it can be done like this.

One of the issues I saw with almost every release of openser since 1.0.0
is the major disruptive changes that were in all of them. There was no
release since then where I didn't have to completely rewrite my config
script, alter my db schemas and update applications to use the new db
schemas. The fact that after a release it can take up to a month to
adjust the old environment to the new release and sort out all bugs,
makes it a very innefficient approach when the release cycle is 6 months.
This is why I would suggest we should generally use a less disruptive
approach to things that minimized the migration path, especially if
available and especially when (like in this case) would completely solve
the problem rather than working it around.

--
Dan