[OpenSER-Devel] [ openser-Bugs-1793928 ] [rr] louse_roote() should import domains from domain module

Fri Sep 14 12:04:09 CEST 2007

Juha Heinanen schrieb:
> SourceForge.net writes:
>
>  > Are you sure? I think the rules for finding the IP address of the SIP URI
>  > in the Route header is RFC 3263.
>
> you do apply rfc 3263 rules, but in case of route header uri, the uri
> needs to identify a single element, i.e., it cannot be a domain.

why not? if you have several stateless proxies you can put a domain into
route header and SRV can be used to distribute load.

Usually it is not done but I think it would be legal.

> usually sip uas put outbound proxy (if given) in route header.
>
> also, when proxy inserts rr uri in request, it must identify an element,
> not domain:
>
> The URI placed in the Record-Route header field MUST resolve to the
> element inserting it (or a suitable stand-in) when the server location
> procedures of [4] are applied to it, so that subsequent requests reach
> the same SIP element.

Thus, having a server farm and using a domain which resolves to one of
this servers is fine if the servers are equivalent (e.g. a outboundproxy
  server farm).

Further, it is not about Record-Route but about a preloaded route set.
E.g. by using a domain as outboundproxy, you can share load over several
OBPs. Then, when forwarding the initial INVITE the OBP adds a
record-route header with it's IP address and thus all the in-dialog
requests will be handled by the same proxy.

Thus, putting a domain into Record-Route/Route is fine if the multiple
choices can handle it. Further, for pre-loaded route sets it is IMO a
feature to use a domain.

regards
klaus