[OpenSER-Devel] debian packaging - etch vs. unstable

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Thu Oct 18 16:42:18 CEST 2007

On 10/18/07 17:25, Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007, Henning Westerholt wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> i would like to fix the library version for berkeley db in
>> the /packaging/debian directory. 4.5 is not available in etch, only
>> 4.4. Dan changed in commit 2910 the libsnmp depends to unstable, so we
>> have apparently a conflict here.
>>

> I was under the impression that the debian tree was for unstable, while
> debian-sarge was for debian stable. If it was for etch, my mistake, you
> can revert them. However I need to mention that when the debian package
> is built and uploaded, it'll be first uploaded into unstable. Nobody can
> push new packages into debian stable unless they are security fixes. So
> we still need a directory for debian unstable.
>

>> It would make sense to create a new directory "debian-etch" like the
>> available sarge dir, then changes for unstable would not conflict with
>> stable.
>>

> Probably it would make sense to replace debian-sarge with debian-etch
> since sarge was replaced by etch as the stable distribution.

yes, agree, debian-etch should be the name for the stable version. If
someone wants to keep for debian-sarge, we can do so, it there are
volunteers. And indeed, all packages get first into the unstable.
However, this process is coordinated by Julien. We owe to make available
packages for the other distro via openser site, getting officially from
unstable to stable debian takes a while, some people don't want to wait.