[OpenSER-Devel] Re: [OpenSER-Users] New db_berkeley module

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Oct 5 12:46:00 CEST 2007

On Friday 05 October 2007, Will Quan wrote:
> A new DB module has been submitted to the trunk that incorporates the
> Berkeley DB into Openser. This module depends on Berkeley DB, which is a
> high-performance embedded DB kernel.
>
> The Berkeley DB offers a couple of architectures:
> 1. Concurrent Data Store (CDS)
> 2. Transaction Data Store
>
> This module uses the CDS model. One of the main differences between these
> architectures is DB recovery and robustness (Please refer to the Berkeley
> DB for full details). In a nutshell, the onus of recovery is on the
> application (e.g. openser). This modules contains a recovery program
> utils/db_berkeley/bdb_recover that can be used to recover DB files.
>
> Like other DB modules, the DB must be created before Openser can be
> started. The standard openserdbctl script can be used to create the DB once
> the Berkeley DB is installed.
>
> The module is experimental, and has been tested primarily with
> registration.
>
> **Important**
> Berkeley DB v4.6.19 contains a bug that will most certainly result in
> deadlock. There is a patch available for Berkeley DB 4.6.19, and the fix is
> to be sourced in the next release of 4.6.
>
> Special thanks to the authors of dbtext and postgesql modules:
>  dbtext - Daniel-Constantin Mierla
>  postgres - Greg Fausak, Andy Fullford, Norman Brandinger
> Also thanks to Henning Westerholt for reviewing the code .

Hello William,

just a short update from my side:

I'll commit later a almost working (except for some indexes) version of the
xsl database schema generation for this module. What do you recommend in
regards to indexes that are defined over more than one column, e.g. in the
subscriber table? How can i specify this type of index in the database file?

I noticed that at the moment there is no openserctl tool for this database
module available. Do you have any plans providing this?