[OpenSER-Devel] GNU/kFreeBSD support

Norman Brandinger norm at goes.com
Thu Nov 29 13:37:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

One guys real world example:

I used to use FreeBSD exclusively for all the servers at my ISP.  They
were very solid and uptime's of 3 or 4 or more years is not uncommon.
When tuned properly they are also very fast.  One comment is that their
"packaged" software repositories are not "bleeding edge".  This isn't a
problem for a production system that doesn't need to have the latest
software apps.

The problems I encountered as I started building my VoIP service was
that much of the software is "leading edge" and most developers use
Linux as a base rather than FreeBSD.  This caused me to spend more time
to "tweak" the software for FreeBSD than I liked.  As a result, I moved
the VoIP systems over to Linux (Debian) from FreeBSD.

Years ago, Linux distro's were very insecure "out of the box" and needed
to be locked down before even connecting them to the Net.  One evening I
installed a Linux distro and left it connected to the Net (with zero
local changes other than IP address).  The next morning, a rootkit had
already been installed...that was a few years ago, and thankfully things
have changed.

We still have a couple of FreeBSD production servers, that are many
years old.  When the need arises to make any substantial changes to them
we will convert them over to Linux.  Now, how to ditch the m$ boxes !!!

Regards,
Norm