[OpenSER-Devel] force_rtp_proxy("l"); - OpenSer crashes

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Nov 22 10:26:38 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Dan,
>
> According to RFC3261 the timers are per branch (for each destination
> your proxy tries). So if you do serial forking to 3 destination, the
> client will experience the 3 X proxy_timeout.
>
> For DNS based failover, serial forking is done, so for each branch,
> openser will wait the configured time.

But this is not exactly serial forking, is it? If you get a provisional
response from the first IP you contact you do not failover to the others
even if the call is not answered, but with serial forking you do. Plus
serial forking is under the script control, while this is not. Even more
the N addresses from DNS represent the same entity and you can contact
each of them and get to the same result. With serial forking each entity
you connect is different, just the next to contact if the previous one
didn't answer.

I'm sure you understand what I meant. This parameter is not under my
control, is under the control of the destination as long as it's value
depends on what the target DNS contains and having to wait a random time
(and sometimes a huge one) until you get a timeout is bizarre from a user
perspective. I think developers should put themselves in the user's shoes
now and then and see the issue from their perspective to avoid cases
where every bit of the code is "right" but the end result is wrong.

--
Dan