[OpenSER-Devel] SCTP support for OpenSER 1.2.1

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Fri Jul 20 14:47:15 CEST 2007

Hello Glenn,

thanks for your contribution, please register your patch on the tracker.
It will be reviewed and included in openser
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=139143

See more comments inline.

On 07/19/07 22:25, Glenn Marmon wrote:
> (Apologies if this is a duplicate message of one sent earlier, but
> after three hours it never showed up on the list, so I'm trying again
> from another email address)
>
> Over the past weeks, I have been working on adding SCTP transport
> support for OpenSER 1.2.1. I've made a tarball with the necessary
> files, a README on using it, and a .diff showing the changes I've had
> to make to existing OpenSER core files:
>
> http://oak.conncoll.edu/~gmarmon/openser-1.2.1-sctp-addon.tgz
> <http://oak.conncoll.edu/%7Egmarmon/openser-1.2.1-sctp-addon.tgz>
>
> This code has been built and tested on a FreeBSD 6.2 system with the
> latest SCTP stack compiled into the kernel. I will soon be testing it
> on FreeBSD 7.0, which is slated for release this fall and supports
> SCTP natively.
>
> A couple of caveats:
>
> 1. My testing of this implementation has been limited to the following
> scenario:
> sipp (A) <--> openser (A) <----> openser (B) <--> sipp (B)
> Where both openser A and B are version 1.2.1 with the SCTP add-on, and
> both sipp A and B are the nightly SipP build from July 12, 2007
> (sipp.2007-07-12). The scenario is a simple one where sipp A runs the
> default client (uac), making calls to sipp B (uas). The SCTP
> communication can be seen in the message forwarding between the two
> openser servers. This scenario works for me, but it is the only one I
> have tested thus far.
Could you please check if the patch works for devel version (trunk) as
well? Would be easier to review and integrate.

> 2. There is one major issue I can see at the moment: OpenSER with this
> add-on will crash whenever it is stopped. It only happens when the
> program quits, so its been more of just a nuisance: OpenSER is
> functional during its lifetime, it just leaves a large .core and the
> .pid file when it quits. Obviously, though, this is a serious problem,
> and I haven't yet tracked it down. Notes on it can be found in the
> readme of the openser-sctp package.
Have you investigated the core? What the backtrace says?

> 3. Obviously, changes had to be made to the OpenSER core code to
> support SCTP. I feel that most of them are clean, but there are a
> couple places where I'm less confident about whether or not the
> edit/fix I've made is the best way to do it. Specific notes on those
> can be found in the readme of the openser-sctp package.
>
> I feel that SCTP functionality would be a valuable addition to
> OpenSER, and I will continue to work on this implementation. Any
> feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Indeed, including the SCPT will complete the transport layers in
openser. You will get feedback from the reviewer and then a decision
will be made for the maintenance of that part of the code.