[OpenSER-Devel] SCTP support for OpenSER 1.2.1

Glenn Marmon gmarmon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:25:52 CEST 2007

(Apologies if this is a duplicate message of one sent earlier, but after
three hours it never showed up on the list, so I'm trying again from another
email address)

Over the past weeks, I have been working on adding SCTP transport support
for OpenSER 1.2.1. I've made a tarball with the necessary files, a README on
using it, and a .diff showing the changes I've had to make to existing
OpenSER core files:

http://oak.conncoll.edu/~gmarmon/openser-1.2.1-sctp-addon.tgz

This code has been built and tested on a FreeBSD 6.2 system with the latest
SCTP stack compiled into the kernel. I will soon be testing it on FreeBSD
7.0, which is slated for release this fall and supports SCTP natively.

A couple of caveats:

1. My testing of this implementation has been limited to the following
scenario:
sipp (A) <--> openser (A) <----> openser (B) <--> sipp (B)
Where both openser A and B are version 1.2.1 with the SCTP add-on, and both
sipp A and B are the nightly SipP build from July 12, 2007 (sipp.2007-07-12).
The scenario is a simple one where sipp A runs the default client (uac),
making calls to sipp B (uas). The SCTP communication can be seen in the
message forwarding between the two openser servers. This scenario works for
me, but it is the only one I have tested thus far.

2. There is one major issue I can see at the moment: OpenSER with this
add-on will crash whenever it is stopped. It only happens when the program
quits, so its been more of just a nuisance: OpenSER is functional during its
lifetime, it just leaves a large .core and the .pid file when it quits.
Obviously, though, this is a serious problem, and I haven't yet tracked it
down. Notes on it can be found in the readme of the openser-sctp package.

3. Obviously, changes had to be made to the OpenSER core code to support
SCTP. I feel that most of them are clean, but there are a couple places
where I'm less confident about whether or not the edit/fix I've made is the
best way to do it. Specific notes on those can be found in the readme of the
openser-sctp package.

I feel that SCTP functionality would be a valuable addition to OpenSER, and
I will continue to work on this implementation. Any feedback would be
greatly appreciated.

-Glenn Marmon
Connecticut College Class of 2009
gmarmon at conncoll.edu