[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3442] trunk

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Wed Dec 19 15:18:40 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> > Otherwise please lets not fight about this ~10 lines change. I
> > also need to get some work done for today, so please lets stop the
> > discussion here.
>
> So to make things clear, none should express any reservation about such
> changes because they're just 10 lines and you're too busy, so let's just
> shut up everybody...

Hi Dan,

i do not said this. I had only a little too much discussions and too few real
work in the last few days. Thats all. That was also a whish and not a request
from me, as i think that we can't come to a compromise here for this issue.

> Well, even though you're busy I still think that the change helps nothing
> and makes it harder for someone to make changes if they need to.

I think its help because one of the main problems for a medium sized code base
like this is the clutter that gets accumulated over the time. This make
maintainance and understanding of the codebase harder then necessary.

> Consider I want to have a customized shutdown time (for whatever reason).
> As it was I would go to the top of the file identify the #define and make
> a patch. This patch will most likely have a very long lifetime as the
> chances that the top of the file gets modified so much that it won't be
> able to apply the patch anymore, are slim.
> With the new version, I have to dwell into the source and find the
> shutdown code, then search inside it to find the constant. After that I
> also make a patch, which has much higher chances that it gets out of sync
> and doesn't apply considering that with changes in the middle or the end
> of a file get my change spot gets much easier shifted with changes.

If you had take a look into the actual change, you've noticed that the TIMEOUT
define was actually located in line 429. This is not "on top of the file" for
me.

If you maintain such a patch, and i have made your life a little bit harder
now, then i'll revert this change. If this is not so, and you still can not
accept my change, then we need to start a voting about this.

But this perhaps is a little to much overhead for this type of change.