[OpenSER-Devel] SF.net SVN: openser: [3442] trunk

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Dec 19 14:45:18 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> Otherwise please lets not fight about this ~10 lines change. I
> also need to get some work done for today, so please lets stop the
> discussion here.

So to make things clear, none should express any reservation about such
changes because they're just 10 lines and you're too busy, so let's just
shut up everybody...

Well, even though you're busy I still think that the change helps nothing
and makes it harder for someone to make changes if they need to.

Consider I want to have a customized shutdown time (for whatever reason).
As it was I would go to the top of the file identify the #define and make
a patch. This patch will most likely have a very long lifetime as the
chances that the top of the file gets modified so much that it won't be
able to apply the patch anymore, are slim.
With the new version, I have to dwell into the source and find the
shutdown code, then search inside it to find the constant. After that I
also make a patch, which has much higher chances that it gets out of sync
and doesn't apply considering that with changes in the middle or the end
of a file get my change spot gets much easier shifted with changes.

--
Dan