[Devel] Re: fix for Radius failed query logging

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu Nov 16 23:13:40 CET 2006

On Wed 15 Nov 2006 23:07, Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Thank you for helping us with including the OpenSER radius attributes
> in the mainstream Freeradius dictionary,
>
> Can you help the OpenSER community to have the failed query accepted
> by the Freeradius? We currently keep patches for Freeradius with this
> functionality and all who could help so far seem to be more
> interested in seeing some RFCs about the problem instead of fixing
> the code.
>
> Can you help?

Hi Adrian

Sorry if my replies to this thread are a bit disjointed but I newly subscribed
to the list and it turns out that "Avoid duplicate copies of messages" is on
by default on this list so I was fishing these (direct) message out of my
spam folder instead of having them threaded in my "openser" folder :-)

I understand from your mail that there is not currently an RFC
describing "Acct-Status-Type = Failed".

If that is the case, can you please descibe why openser feels the need to add
this Status type?

From what I can see exactly the same effect would be achieved
with "Acct-Status-Type = Stop" as you already include "Sip-Response-Code =
487" in the packet (Which appears to mean "Request Terminated").

When is Acct-Status-Type = Failed generated and what exactly does it mean?

Is there a good reason why you need to redefine/add to one of the standard
RADIUS attributes rather than adding your own vendor attribute?

What you are doing is basically asking all RADIUS vendors to speciffically add
(non RFC compliant) support for openser instead of using a VSA
(http://wiki.freeradius.org/VSA) which is designed for exactly that purpose
and would enable support for this in basically any radius server without any
code changes (just an additional dictionary... which doesn't affect anyone
else... unlike your current dictionary...)

Please see http://wiki.freeradius.org/VSA

Enterprise numbers can be applied for from IANA:

http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon