FW: [Devel] web interface development

Mike Williams mwilliams at ETC1.net
Wed Jan 25 23:34:26 CET 2006

...forgot to send to the devel list at first...

---Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Williams
Sent: Wed 1/25/2006 12:42 PM
To: arek at perceval.net
Subject: RE: [Devel] web interface development

Arek,

I do envision a SOAP/XML interface in the future. However, I do not think that XML to HTML transformations are necessary; to me it seems to be best that multiple points of entry and exit be defined. For instance, a user can browse to index.php, which sets the output and input engines to the XHTML kind. From what I understand of SOAP (which is not very much), it is a messaging system. Access to another page, say soap.php, would allow SOAP requests. Additionally, a daemon could listen on a port for yet another form of communication. To me, the view layer should just be given data, how it presents and formats it should be a extensible architecture. Please let me know if this doesn't make any sense.

As for a secure SOAP engine, I am not totally certain I understand what you mean. I see an architecture where different SIP objects interact with each, executed by each command in turn, and then the combined end-data, stored in a Context object, would be passed to the view layer, to be presented in whatever form it chosen. Another layer would be responsible for storing and loading the domain objects. In this instance, LDAP could be supported as one method, SQL as another. Again, I think a pluggable storage model would work best, as the types employed are widely varied.

I agree that your concept would be very interesting to investigate. Would you mind providing more information about the types of services you provide, how you developed this system, what architecture it is built on, what problems you encountered, and so on?

Does anyone have a problem with this system being developed in PHP? I have the majority of my experience here, and I think it would be well suited to a web-based project.

Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate the comments and thoughts.

---Mike