[Devel] Re: [Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Tue Jun 14 22:14:50 CEST 2005

On Jun 14, 2005 at 15:01, Alberto Cruz <acruz at tekbrain.com> wrote:
> Hi guys. I'm just any other SER user in the world that I have taken
> advantage of this project to deploy SIP service. I haven't contribute
> with the project as far as I have tried to replay some posts at the
> mailing list.
>
> There are many people that is dedicated and compromised with this
> project. I have seen people like SER Team (Jiri, Jan and Andrei), Juha,
> Marie, Bodgan, Daniel, Iqbal, Greger, Paul, and many others that have
> been giving their time and effort to SER project without asking for a
> compensation.
>
> The open source development philosophy goes in this way: Everybody
> contributes with it and there isn't any payment (money) back. Then we
> have a project like SER when there should be a leader for the benefit
> and success of the project. There are rules and policies about how to
> use the software, how to make the documentation, how to integrate the
> improvements, new code, etc. and everybody should follow this rules and
> policies. And what about the people that is dedicated 100% to the
> project, how they are handling their incomes? Some body need to pay the
> bills.
>
> I don't know about SER guys like Jan, Jiri and Andrei what other thinks
> are they doing besides SER Project but I can imagine they have a lot
> work to do at the project.
>
> I don't know this is true but I though the main concern about Bodgan and
> Daniel is that SER development group aren't dedicating the 100% to the
> project because they have as main target the iptelorg commercial
> project. There are some post at the mailing list that have shown the
> feelings from some people about it.
>
> I have seen many people that have posted improvements, corrections,
> add-on, etc. They are asking to integrate their contributions to the
> project but they haven't received a positive answer and that is not
> motivate it for anybody. And maybe they start to feel like "Something is
> wrong, why this guys are not taking my code? Is there other kind of
> interest here?"
>
> Why you don't make an agreement about this? Why don't to make a
> re-engineering at the SER team and define team groups by features or by
> modules which the team leader and members could be as from iptel-group
> as from any other organization?

They already are.
The ser core team is me, Bogdan, Daniel, Jan, Jiri (alphabetical order).

> In this way you could have a decision maker by module or feature that
> could decide what o when to integrate new code or features. Maybe you
> could adopt the way like the IETF organization works.

This is also implemented: every piece of code is maintained by somebody.
If for example Jan wants to change my code (and it's not some obvious
bug fix), he asks me if I agree. The general ideea here is not to modify
other people code without their approval (maybe they have something else
in mind). The same goes for all ser contributors with cvs access.
The ser core team is a little bit more powerfull in the sense that if we
agree we can make major changes.

> Maybe this could help to have a better communication and to improve the
> time to release the new stable versions of SER.

This is why I'm so surprised (and pissed off) about this fork. There was
no communication.

Andrei

[...]