[Devel] Re: [Serdev] Re: [Serusers] OpenSER release

Alberto Cruz acruz at tekbrain.com
Tue Jun 14 22:01:41 CEST 2005

Hi guys. I'm just any other SER user in the world that I have taken
advantage of this project to deploy SIP service. I haven't contribute
with the project as far as I have tried to replay some posts at the
mailing list.

There are many people that is dedicated and compromised with this
project. I have seen people like SER Team (Jiri, Jan and Andrei), Juha,
Marie, Bodgan, Daniel, Iqbal, Greger, Paul, and many others that have
been giving their time and effort to SER project without asking for a
compensation.

The open source development philosophy goes in this way: Everybody
contributes with it and there isn't any payment (money) back. Then we
have a project like SER when there should be a leader for the benefit
and success of the project. There are rules and policies about how to
use the software, how to make the documentation, how to integrate the
improvements, new code, etc. and everybody should follow this rules and
policies. And what about the people that is dedicated 100% to the
project, how they are handling their incomes? Some body need to pay the
bills.

I don't know about SER guys like Jan, Jiri and Andrei what other thinks
are they doing besides SER Project but I can imagine they have a lot
work to do at the project.

I don't know this is true but I though the main concern about Bodgan and
Daniel is that SER development group aren't dedicating the 100% to the
project because they have as main target the iptelorg commercial
project. There are some post at the mailing list that have shown the
feelings from some people about it.

I have seen many people that have posted improvements, corrections,
add-on, etc. They are asking to integrate their contributions to the
project but they haven't received a positive answer and that is not
motivate it for anybody. And maybe they start to feel like "Something is
wrong, why this guys are not taking my code? Is there other kind of
interest here?"

Why you don't make an agreement about this? Why don't to make a
re-engineering at the SER team and define team groups by features or by
modules which the team leader and members could be as from iptel-group
as from any other organization?
In this way you could have a decision maker by module or feature that
could decide what o when to integrate new code or features. Maybe you
could adopt the way like the IETF organization works.

Maybe this could help to have a better communication and to improve the
time to release the new stable versions of SER.

These are my personals thougths I would like everything goes well and
everybody be happy.It's a little difficult to approach this kind of goal
but with a little effort, tolerance and good will everything is possible.

Regards

Alberto Cruz