[Devel] blacklist feature

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Mon Dec 19 15:55:46 CET 2005

Hi Klaus,

I have some second thoughts if the implementation of the the blacklist
feature via a [different] route type is the best way to do it.
    ADV
        you have more liberty in logging, more complex if structures, etc
    DISADV
        very difficult to provision.
        scripting mat become confusing.
        no central point to manage to lists (which may be used/set by
different modules.

IMHO, I would prefer to have a list(s) of restrictions into the core -
the script or the module may register different blacklist (managed by
ids); the rules may be based on dst IP, dst port, proto, regexp on
message, etc...

before forwards, you can set (based on ID(s)) one or more blacklist to
be applied on the outgoing message. I see here a better way to provision
(is not hardcoded into script)and a better module convergence (a feature
which may be used directly from different modules)

no sure if there are drawbacks in this approach  - it might scale more
difficult if more rule types will be available in the feature...  not
sure....

comments on the topic are welcomed.

regards,
bogdan