[Kamailio-Users] Need Assistance Tracking Down A SIP Signaling Problem

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Sep 25 09:58:20 CEST 2009

My advice would be to get the carrier to fix the buggy stack on their
equipment, not to try to hack around it in various kludgy ways.

In general, if you're going to use some sort of SIP network element to
deal with interop bugs, a proxy is not the best thing to use, anyhow.
  A B2BUA - preferably a "fat" one (less transparent than a "thin"
one) - that is tolerant and can normalise some of these interop bugs
toward the other call leg would be ideal.

In this case, the problem is too fundamental for any UA to have to
reasonably cope with it, so that's irrelevant.  But it is a best
practice in principle, at least in my opinion.  A proxy is more or
less constrained to relay the requests and replies exactly as it
receives them, and although the IETF SIP WG keeps approving kludgy
hacks for unanticipated functional needs - like the draft (is it an
RFC now?) that allows a proxy to modify the From and To headers - the
fundamental precept here is a misguided one.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems