[Kamailio-Users] Having problems using RTPProxy to bridge internal/external networks

Joe Hart jhart at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 14 00:12:46 CEST 2009

Hi all,

For a project on which I'm currently working, I am having some problems
figuring out how to correctly configure Kamailio to communicate with RTP
Proxy in order to send media into and out of a network with private IP
address ranges.

I have a proxy set up to send the SIP traffic, and all of this is
working fine.  However, I'm having some trouble getting the RTP Proxy
set up.  Currently, when the call is connected, the offer/answer is made
and RTP Proxy seems to be taking over, but I'm having trouble getting my
audio to flow in both directions.

Examination of the traffic coming into and out of this machine seems to
indicate that the IP addresses aren't being mangled correctly.
Specifically, it appears the internal IP address isn't being changed to
reflect the IP address of the machine on which RTP Proxy is running, so
that when the caller tries to send audio back, the IP it's given to
reply to is 10.10.x.x, which obviously won't work.

I have tried experimenting with specifically setting IP addresses in the
rtpproxy_offer() and _answer() methods to no avail, as well as setting
various flags in those methods.  However, I must admit that I'm not
entirely sure what's happening under the hood with these methods, or
what rtpproxy is doing with that information when it gets it.  Rather
than continue to hack at this by trial and error, I'm hoping someone
here can point me in the right direction.

Any advice, example code or pep talks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--
Joe Hart
Voice Systems Integrator