[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:53:36 CEST 2009

On 09.10.2009 11:42 Uhr, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net>:
>
>>> What does "without SIMPLE" mean?
>>>
>> A phone without SIMPLE. Just SIP for calls, and XMPP for IM and presence.
>> In short: A failure for everyone that believes in SIMPLE.
>>

> Nobody wants to give an opportunity to SIMPLE/XCAP?
> I'm sure that Kamailio is faster and more efficient than any existing
> XMPP server to route messages. Let's keep it!

SIMPLE presence specs are more laborious, allowing more complex
services. There is a future for it, as it is for SIP. If xmpp/jingle
targets telephony, it will end in the same complex environment as SIP.

There are couple of mistakes in SIP specs, could have been more strict
in requirements, but what makes it very complex is the large set of
functionalities it wants to solve. Making  call between two users is
easy, changing presence between 2 users is easy as well (end-to-end).

>>> I will no accept such kind of "hack" (a multiprotocol client). SIMPLE
>>> is capable of offering similar services as XMPP does. Just
>>> implementations are needed. And this will never achieved if we insist
>>> on using XMPP "because SIMPLE is not mature yet".
>>>

>> Keep on fighting!
>>

> Yeah :)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
* Kamailio SIP Masterclass, Nov 9-13, 2009, Berlin
* http://www.asipto.com/index.php/sip-router-masterclass/