[Kamailio-Users] Strange behaviour when RADIUS server is down

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Tue Mar 10 20:47:18 CET 2009

Ovidiu Sas writes:

 > AFAIR, if radius server is down, ACK will not be relayed.
 > The call cannot be accounted and therefor the call is dropped.
 >
 > So, the radius server is a single point of failure.

not necessarily a SINGLE point of failure, i.e., there can be more than
one radius server.  my suggestion is have more than one radius server
and set radius_timeout and radius_retries to small values.

-- juha

/etc/radiusclient-ng/radiusclient.conf

# RADIUS server to use for authentication requests. this config
# item can appear more then one time. if multiple servers are
# defined they are tried in a round robin fashion if one
# server is not answering.
# optionally you can specify a the port number on which is remote
# RADIUS listens separated by a colon from the hostname. if
# no port is specified /etc/services is consulted of the radius
# service. if this fails also a compiled in default is used.
authserver 	127.0.0.1

# RADIUS server to use for accouting requests. All that I
# said for authserver applies, too.
#
acctserver 	127.0.0.1