[Kamailio-Users] Redundancy and fault-tolerance

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Mar 3 10:57:51 CET 2009

2009/3/3 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
> Alex Balashov writes:
>
>  > > I did not try this yet but linux-ha + DRBD seems to be a nice solution.
>  > >
>  > > http://www.linux-ha.org/
>  > > http://www.drbd.org/
>  > > http://www.linux-ha.org/DRBD
>
> drbd is ok, but i'm not convinced about linux-ha.  based on what i have
> read, you cannot use linux ha to verify that sip proxy on your host is
> running, but only that the host itself is reachable.  if so, it won't
> help you, for example, in your proxy has crashed.

Hi Juha, under my experience with HeartBeat you are really wrong ;)

HeartBeat v2 allows creating custom and powerful  OCF[1] scripts which
can manage a service and monitorize it in. In case a service crashes
HeartBeat tries to start it during some time, and in case of no
success then the service is started in other node.

If you want to monitorize Kamailio you just need to create a OCF
resource script [2], and when it is called with argument "monitor" it
must returns 0 if the resource is running, 7 if it is stopped and
anything else if it is failed.

Please don't confuse HeartBeat v-1 with v-2 (v-2 allows CRM syntax
which implements monitorization and other cool features).

I can sure you that HeartBeat-v2 allows reliable and funny failover systems :)

[1] OCF: http://www.opencf.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/specs/ra/resource-agent-api.txt?rev=HEAD
[2] http://www.linux-ha.org/OCFResourceAgent

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo