[Kamailio-Users] Redundancy and fault-tolerance

Uriel Rozenbaum uriel.rozenbaum at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:06:13 CET 2009

Hi gentlemen,

I'm trying to find a suitable topology to deploy on our SIP network.

We started testing UCARP, but it seems it's not going to do for us.
Our topology involves 2 servers with physical IPs on them and 2 floating IPs
(to balance load 50% on each).
The balancing is manual, we are going to point half our servers (measured in
load) to one floating IP and so on.
When a server fails, the other will handle the load assuming the other
floating IP.

We found an issue managing IPs, if we have to make Kamailio listen to a
floating IP we have to set:
listen=0.0.0.0
and then record_route will just pass that IP on the record route headers,
making destination servers not to respond.

If we try to use record_route_preset() there, when server A fails, all
IP.

I'd like to know if some of you found a tidier solution and would like to
share some topology and implementation tips. DNS SRV is also on our list,
but maybe there is something out there that can help us with this.

Thanks in advance,
Uriel