[Kamailio-Users] NAThelper and multipart SDP

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 13:54:55 CEST 2009

On 06/22/2009 01:25 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 06/22/2009 11:37 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
>>> [...]At the same time, the Kamailio leadership appears to have much
>>> more perspective and standardisation on rtpproxy, as well as
>>> whatever RTP forwarding module is being lifted from IPTel.org for
>>> SIP-Router.
>>
>> rtpproxy does more now than packet forwarding (e.g., playing audio,
>> moh, repacketization ...), therefore needs to stay in user space, see:
>> http://www.rtpproxy.org.
>
> I did not mean to suggest that it is a liability of rtpproxy that it
> is implemented in userspace.
>
> Someone does need to do a study to see if kernel vs. userspace
> forwarding really makes that much of a difference, though.  I suspect
> that although it does make a difference, it is not nearly as much of a
> difference as is commonly thought.
i think the same, although I haven't tested, rtpproxy is enough so far
and can have many instances load balanced from kamailio nathelper module.

What I wanted to point out, is that nathelper is now more than rtp
packages relayer and for that being in user space is necessary. When
someone is looking at performances, iptrtpproxy module is another option
using kernel space (whatever that makes any difference or not).

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com/