[Kamailio-Users] stun/outbound draft...

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Thu Jan 8 20:32:48 CET 2009

Aymeric Moizard wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Jiri Kuthan wrote:
>
>> I respectfully disagree -- the field has clearly shown that working
>> NAT traversal today is more valuable than message integrity and ICE
>> architecture both together. (Whcih happens to be my personal
>> preference too: getting over NATs today is more important to me than
>> any sort of securing free phone calls.) Generally I tend to prefer
>> priorities as articulated by live deployments.
>
> I think we both agree on where we want to go.
>
> The difference is probably that current way SIP is used might be enough
> for you, but as a 10 years SIP endpoint stack builder, I'm just bored
> about using SIP over non transparent network. Not your fault...
>
>> I'm sorry to be so differently opinionated on this, particularly
>> because I like ICE esthetically as the "e2e" solution. However,
>> somehow in the Internet the things that are deployable today always
>> matter. (even if considered evil, such as NATs)
>
> Don't be sorry.
> My intention for this thread was just to ask ser/kamailio/whatever to
> make sure the future will not be the same as the 10 past years. My
> intention was not to say "you are all wrong".

No problem at all -- it is indeed an uneasy question.

The end-to-end-ness of ice seems appealing like say TCP does. TCP is robust
in that whatever happens in the network, smart software (quite complex
in fact)
in the end-devices can deal with it. So I keep asking myself why ICE is
getting so little traction if the same thing works for TCP. One of the
reasons
could be that it is  a sort of backwards-compatibility problem, since in
a way
it is a layer 3/4 technology and changing IP/transport layer is just
painful. One
could also argue that it can't be fully e2e since it relies on network
via TURN,
even though as the last resort.

It is not a clear bet to me -- in fact I fell a bit ashamed I may be
giving up
on ICE too early. Still I do. Does anyone have a memory of a technology that
was "clean", came late and surpassed "internet workarounds"?

-jiri