[Kamailio-Users] stun/outbound draft...

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Sat Jan 3 13:10:04 CET 2009

2009/1/3 Aymeric Moizard <jack at atosc.org>:

>   This specification draft-ietf-sip-outbound-16 ios only about SIP:
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-outbound-16

True, I didn't read it. Thanks.

>   So for 100% of UA, STUN is usable for keeping alive and detecting
>   IP changes on the SIP connection.
>
>   Don't you want kamailio to be standard?

Why do you thing so? Of course I want it. I was just asking a
question, no more. ;)

>   For RTP? Even if you put a STUN server on another port, that would
>   not be of any help at all... because only part of the 100% can use
>   the STUN discovered address in their RTP and such solution would not
>   work 100%.

Which is the reason for it? do you mean those routers that "sometimes"
behave as symmetric NAT router and other times not? Or perhaps you
mean that even in a normal and correct router (not symmetric NAT) STUN
would not work on 100% of cases?

>   Instead for RTP, ICE and TURN are required. That's just a different
>   server that has to be installed: NOT THE SAME as the one running on
>   the SIP server which is ONLY doing STUN binding request.

Well, AFAIK ICE is very far from being interoperable, isn't it?
And TURN requires RTP through a media proxy, that is not a very
scalable solution :(

Thanks for your reply and thanks for your work :)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>