[Kamailio-Users] Secure VoIP

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:06:22 CET 2009

On 02/26/2009 09:44 PM, Aymeric Moizard wrote:

>> 2009/2/26 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
>
>> True, what I mean is that SIP providers don't offer a NAPTR record for
>> their service since most clients don't implement it.
>
> But NAPTR request on windows are a pain.
then indeed, this is a solid reason against propagation of naptr in
client side -- most of the softphones and hardphones are build on win
platform.

> "dnsquery DNS_TYPE_NAPTR" on google gives very low number of results:
> most of them are people not
> able to overcome with parsing the NAPTR answer which is not parsed
> at all by micosoft APIs...
>
> That's at least a reason among other for NAPTR not being adopted.
>
> An other reason is that many people buy a domain and does not
> wish to run a DNS server: thus, they cannot declare any NAPTR
> entry. At least my DNS provider let me add SRV entry since less
> than a year... When will he open NAPTR???

Running an IP-based service without a good managed DNS server does not
sound good for me. It is not expensive to get a proper one.

> The very last reason for non wide adoption in UA is that many (some)
> providers still DON't answer NAPTR request... That leads to huge
> timeout which are unacceptable for users...

Again, true, therefore I agree with your next patch ...

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com