[Kamailio-Users] Looking for a highly available / load balanced setup

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 19:52:07 CET 2009

Hello,

On 02/10/2009 07:55 PM, Zahid Mehmood wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> May I trouble you and others on the list to share the deciding factors
> (pros & cons)  for choosing the option that you did.

the benefit of a cluster is that it was designed for such cases. The
drawback is that MySQL version still is pretty early stage. However,
there are success stories and production environments with the cluster
in place.

I am particularly going for user partitioning. It does not make full
service unavailable if one db node is down. When partitioning is very
important to group users by probability to talk inside the group.

As example, put all IT guys in the same node, they are very likely to
talk in between a lot to solve issues. Of course, such distribution can
be considered on geographic location if you deal with branch offices, a.s.o.

Each node is replicated for HA and failover - active-active or
active-standby, depending on needs.

The communication between nodes is another part. Depending on number of
nodes, you can have static binding of users and nodes or a proxy node
that just gives back the node of one user. So you look for user on local
node and if not found ask the proxy node.

I am designing and implementing the platform mainly based on customer
expertise. If they feel more comfortable with a cluster, that is.
Practically they are the ones that have to manage the system in a day by
day manner and integrate with third party components.
> I'm trying to get a better understanding circumstances in which you
> may choose one over the other.
>
> What, if any, special considerations are there for the presence part?

Presence has more sip traffic, requires more memory to store and
aggregate the presence documents. Therefore I recommend you have
dedicated nodes as presence servers. It helps a lot in scaling and
ensuring service availability for basic telephony (registration and call
routing).

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
http://www.asipto.com